Monday, September 20, 2010

My first day as an intern

When I first received the call that I had received the internship with the Town of Fountain Hills, I was extremely excited and a bit overwhelmed ; I realized I only had a basic understanding of how the town operated. Because the town is unlike most other communities in Arizona, I had a lot of learning to do. On my first day I began researching archived information, press releases and studies of economic development of the community to get myself familiar. Since I was working for the Community and Government Affairs department, it was vital that I know as much as possible about the town's communication and operating system. As part of the internship, I also had to create a social media plan for the town, as well as a government calendar of key items the public should know about. The preliminary research was extremely useful here as well. I had never seen the fountain before accepting this internship and it really is a refreshing sight! The community definitely had a small "town" feel and it was like I had driven into a different world. Check out the town's website for some background information on how it operates.
http://www.fh.az.gov/

3 comments:

  1. You are right it does feel like a small town in another world. Because of the McDowell mountains it feels isolated from the rest of the valley.

    I went out there last year to interview their City Manager and was in awe when I walked from city hall to the fountain. It is huge! Can you hear it go off from city hall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I didn't expect it to be so big. You actually can't really here it from inside the buildings.....too much marbel and travertine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Native of the East Valley and having lived in Scottsdale, trust me Fountain hills has always been a little different. I have always loved the mix of Hippies and artists that seem to be drawn there.

    ReplyDelete