Sunday, October 3, 2010

Interesting happenings in the media...

I have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism and over the year have worked as an intern for many of the Valley newspapers. Long story short, I have a soft spot for the media and I greatly understand what goes in to running a newsroom, the challenges brought on by the community and the effects privatization of these companies have done to the industry. The part that I have always had a hard time with is in regards to ethics in the media. Because the media has changed so much over the last 20 years, the role the media plays in society is very different. While on the surface the media may seem to still be that watch dog of the government, the media has become a business, where traditional business concerns sometimes trump being an " honest, truth telling reporter." I read the article from the Huffington Post regarding Rick Sanchez and his "unorthodox comments" that led to his firing. I am curious to know what the rest of you think. Given the way the media should act, was Rick Sanchez out of line in his comments and possibly unethical? Or was CNN embarrassed and let the business side of the company decide Rick's fate? Let me know your thoughts! Below is a link to the article in case you haven't read it yet.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/01/rick-sanchez-fired-from-c_n_747607.html?fbwall

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam,
    I find your interests in ethics and the media really interesting - I have a BA in philosophy, and ethics was what I enjoyed most.
    I hadn't read anything about this CNN story until your blog, but I think it's definitely a complicated situation. On one hand I think Sanchez was out of line because I think there is a sort of unspoken moral understanding that criticizing and assuming something about a person, true or not, is a judgmental act and perhaps not the most ethical thing, especially in the public light that he did it in. On the other hand, we are entitled to free speech and our own opinions, and it is the job of the media to give the public a wide variety of views to either agree or disagree with. Maybe what I don't understand is whether or not his comments were coming from a personal nature or not...but its kind of interesting. What do you think about it all?
    Anyway, you commented on my page about Phoenix Sister Cities, and thats so funny that you received a position there last year. I do work with PJ Conover, and my official role is assistant to the executive director, so I do a lot of different things pertaining to committee meetings, contacting sister cities, writing and editing documents, and anything she needs done on a daily basis.
    Thanks for the post, enjoy your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post! That's a really interesting prespective and I admit I am in the middle as well. I think had he not brought CNN into the picture and made the case that "CNN felt that way also" then the situation would have turned out differently. I am kind of sitting in the camp of thought where CNN was embarrassed and wasn't sure, in this case, what else to do, because Lou Dobbs says "inappropriate and somewhat prejudiced" thigs also, but always says its his opinion ans is safe that way. The whole situation is really conflicting. That's awesome about the intership! I hope it continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete